This week on the Paper Crafter’s Library blog we’re excited to announce the launch of an all new weekly feature. Each week we’re going to be spotlighting a different artist/designer in the paper crafting & mixed media world and introducing you to their fabulous work.
Today we’re thrilled to welcome – Erika Taylor!! I first “met” Erika as part of our Wow! Embossing Powder Week on Paper Crafter’s Library last year, and immediately fell in love with her work. In fact, we loved it so much that we invited Erika back to be our very first Featured Designer! Erika is also giving away a special Valentine’s basket so be sure to leave a comment here on our blog and Erika’s blog for a chance to win.
Before we show you her fabulous project, let’s get to know her a little bit more…
Cutting rings of paper to create garland, making ghost gum from glue, and adding a little too much glitter to any heart I drew. The creative bug bit me at a very early age since my mom is such an amazing artist, and I’ve never looked back. Hi everyone, I’m Erika Taylor and I’m a Craftaholic!!! In 2008, I decided to start paper crafting and one thing led to another. I’m blessed to have been on numerous design teams over the past few years and I’m expanding my own creative muse to include so much more than just cards and scrapbook layouts.
I love getting inked up to create mixed media projects and if I can alter something, I will.
I live in Southern Alberta with my loving and supportive husband Mark and our 2 boisterous children age 5 and 8. Anything to do with Vampires and the Fantasy Realm gets my attention, and yes that includes Twilight! I love Italian Sweet Cream in my coffee and there is nothing better than Tiramisu. I’m moved by the colors around me, emotions and the media. Creatively, I embrace change and love to try new things and I’m super excited about being a part of this amazing adventure.
Grab your favorite beverage and stop by my blog for a visit http://taylordconcepts.blogspot.com
And now, on to Erica’s project:
Hello everyone, Erika Taylor here today. Recently I received a wonderful email from Andrea and I am so over the moon excited to be the Featured Artist today on Paper Crafters Library. Being Valentines Day, I wanted to create a DIY project for you using a Charger Plate as the backdrop.
The Charger Plate gives a sturdy foundation for this piece and I adore how it turned out and hope you do to.
First a little supply list for you.
2 Wooden Hearts
Wow Embossing Powder
May Arts Lace Trim
FabScraps Pattern Paper
Now that I have all of my supplies, the gluing begins. I created some texture to the wood by embossing it with Wow Embossing Powders in Platinum, Pastel Pink, Cable Car Red and Whirly Pop.
Here are some close ups of the finished project for you
The papers are a combination of FabScraps Summer and Marie Antoinette collections and are perfect for those Valentines projects.
Here is the final project. Would you have guessed that I used a charger plate? I mounted a hook on the back so it can hang at the entrance-way of our home. This one was super fun to create and cost less than $10 to make.
Here are the steps I followed to create this project:
1) accordion fold doilies and adhere to charger plate
2) adhere feathers to charger plate
3) Apply Versamark onto wooden hearts. Sprinkle first color onto hearts sporadically. Place excess embossing powders back into jar. Repeat with second and third colors. Heat with heat tool
4) Trace interior and exterior heart of wooden heart onto patterned paper. Cut out and adhere to wooden hearts. Apply finished hearts onto charger plate
5) Adhere cut garland hearts onto charger plate.
6) Cut out large banner shaped piece of patterned paper and dove tail ends. Fold ends to create 3 dimension banner. Spray with Glimmer Mist.
7) Cut out smaller banner shape from contrasting patterned paper and dove tail ends. Add May Arts lace to backside edges, then adhere to larger banner.
8) Adhere banner onto front of charger plate.
9) Heat emboss wooden letters by applying Versamark then sprinkling with Glitter Platinum embossing powder. Adhere to banner.
10) Finish piece by adding additional glitter hearts, feathers and hook on back.
Thank you so much for the opportunity to share my work with you. If you would like to follow my little journey, please subscribe to my blog Ink Cut and Fold. I will be giving away a little gift for any of you that hop on over to my blog and leave a comment on my Sneak Peek Paper Crafters Library Post.
Thank you again, Erika Taylor
Give-Away Compliments of Erika!
Make sure to leave a comment on our blog and on Erika’s blog because she is giving away a special Valentine’s basket to one lucky winner. Happy Valentine’s Day!
We hope you have enjoyed today’s project courtesy of Erika Taylor. We also want to extend a sincere thank you to Erika for sharing her creation with us. Also, be sure to stop by Erika’s blog to see even more of her beautiful work (and let her know we sent you).