Allright I have to admit it, I am a huge food lover when it comes to coloring! I love the texture, the bright colors, the interesting forms. There really is no room for boredom when you are working with food. Now the truly fun ones to work with, are the large open images which really allow you to play.
In a couple of weeks from now, you will be able to find in Paper Crafter’s Library, a series of videos featuring a fairly new product called Pan Pastels.
Pan Pastels are a fun and versatile medium which are simply a micro ground pastel which comes in a cake form. The colors are brilliant, smooth, and totally blendable. Now I have to admit that my first love is with pastels (after oil painting). I started working with this medium when I was 12 or 13 years old.
These Pan Pastels are nothing like the sticks that I used to work with. For starters, they are softer and almost creamy. They are easy to use, and they are totally going mainstream in the crafting world. Presently they can be seen (besides with Artsists) in a lot of mixed media work.
Ever heard of Art Journalling? Donna Downy is a big name in the stamping world with this style. Well this medium is extensively used in this kind of work. I have also started to see stampers picking up this medium due to the ease with which soft backgrounds can be created. Stamping chalks can’t even hold a candle to the possibilities of this beautiful medium.
So anyways, today I have colored in my image with Pan Pastels. as well as having created the soft background with them. The image was sealed with fixative, and is now ready to give as a card. The great thing, is that I could have easily taken any large open image, and turned it into a totally painterly looking framed image. The possibilities are endless!
- Stamps: Peachy Keen Faceless Fruit
- Ink: Tea die, Walnut, Pine Needles (Tim Holtz Ranger Distress), black (Memories)
- Dies/Punches: Deckle Rectangle (Spellbinder), Martha Stewart Punch, Unknown leaf punch
- Coloring Medium: Pan Pastels
- Paper: bisque (Canson Mi-Tiente), White (PaperTrey), Marigold, Baja Breeze (Stampin’Up!), DP (My Mind’s Eye)
- Accessories: white flowers (Prima), Kiwi Kiss ribbon[retired] (Stampin’Up!)
- Other: Cuttlebug, Sponges, White Poster Paint Pen (Sharpie), glitter gel pen (Sakura), Windsor Newton Final Fixative, Mini Glue Dots (Stampin’Up!)